The Queer Uncanny: New Perspectives on the Gothic (Gothic by Paulina Palmer PDF
By Paulina Palmer
Read or Download The Queer Uncanny: New Perspectives on the Gothic (Gothic Literary Studies) PDF
Best literary gothic & romantic criticism books
This ebook is the 1st research of Coleridge's responses to his goals and to debates at the nature of dreaming between poets, philosophers and scientists within the Romantic interval. Coleridge wrote and skim widely at the topic, yet his different and unique rules have hitherto obtained little awareness.
First released 1984. In a provocative research, this booklet argues that the issues posed via Shelley’s notoriously tough kind needs to be understood on the subject of his ambivalence in the direction of language itself as a creative medium — the stress among the potential for language to reflect emotional adventure and the popularity of it’s inevitable obstacles.
First released in 1969, this e-book areas Coleridge’s literary feedback opposed to the heritage of his philosophical considering, studying his theories approximately feedback and the character of poetry. specific realization is paid to the constitution of Biographia Literaria, Coleridge’s contrast among mind's eye and Fancy, his definitions of the poetic characters of Shakespeare and Wordsworth, his research of the psychological nation of audiences in theatres, and his interpretations of Paradise misplaced, Hamlet and Aeschylus’ Prometheus.
This publication, the 1st full-length cross-period comparability of medieval and sleek literature, deals leading edge study into the textual and cultural legacy of the center a while: an important and transforming into quarter of scholarship. on the juncture of literary, cultural and gender experiences, and capitalizing on a renewed curiosity in well known western representations of the Islamic east, this booklet proffers leading edge case reports on representations of cross-religious and cross-cultural romantic relationships in a variety of overdue medieval and twenty-first century Orientalist well known romances.
- Marking Maternity in Middle English Romance: Mothers, Identity, and Contamination (The New Middle Ages)
- Unfolding the Mind: The Unconscious in American Romanticism and Literary Theory: Volume 25 (Routledge Library Editions: Literary Theory)
- Shelley and the Apprehension of Life (Cambridge Studies in Romanticism)
- Transplanting the Metaphysical Organ: German Romanticism between Leibniz and Marx (Forms of Living)
- A Study of Two Classics: A Cultural Critique of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the Water Margin - Student Edition
- Career Stories: Belle Époque Novels of Professional Development (Penn State Romance Studies)
Additional info for The Queer Uncanny: New Perspectives on the Gothic (Gothic Literary Studies)
The Queer Uncanny: New Perspectives on the Gothic (Gothic Literary Studies) by Paulina Palmer