Joseph Le Fanu's Carmilla: A Critical Edition (Irish Studies) PDF
By Joseph Le Fanu
Read Online or Download Carmilla: A Critical Edition (Irish Studies) PDF
Best literary gothic & romantic criticism books
This booklet is the 1st research of Coleridge's responses to his desires and to debates at the nature of dreaming between poets, philosophers and scientists within the Romantic interval. Coleridge wrote and browse largely at the topic, yet his different and unique principles have hitherto acquired little cognizance.
First released 1984. In a provocative research, this booklet argues that the issues posed by way of Shelley’s notoriously tricky type has to be understood with regards to his ambivalence in the direction of language itself as a creative medium — the strain among the potential for language to reflect emotional event and the popularity of it’s inevitable barriers.
First released in 1969, this ebook locations Coleridge’s literary feedback opposed to the historical past of his philosophical considering, studying his theories approximately feedback and the character of poetry. specific cognizance is paid to the constitution of Biographia Literaria, Coleridge’s contrast among mind's eye and Fancy, his definitions of the poetic characters of Shakespeare and Wordsworth, his research of the psychological country of audiences in theatres, and his interpretations of Paradise misplaced, Hamlet and Aeschylus’ Prometheus.
This booklet, the 1st full-length cross-period comparability of medieval and sleek literature, bargains innovative learn into the textual and cultural legacy of the center a while: an important and growing to be zone of scholarship. on the juncture of literary, cultural and gender reports, and capitalizing on a renewed curiosity in well known western representations of the Islamic east, this e-book proffers cutting edge case reports on representations of cross-religious and cross-cultural romantic relationships in a range of past due medieval and twenty-first century Orientalist well known romances.
- Romantic Englishness: Local, National and Global Selves, 1780-1850 (Palgrave Studies in the Enlightenment, Romanticism and the Cultures of Print)
- Nineteenth-Century Transatlantic Reprinting and the Embodied Book (Ashgate Series in Nineteenth-Century Transatlantic Studies)
- Unquiet Things: Secularism in the Romantic Age (Haney Foundation Series)
- Dying to be English: Suicide Narratives and National Identity, 1721–1814: Volume 2 (Gender and Genre)
- The Romantic Revolution in America: 1800-1860: Main Currents in American Thought: 2
- The Arthurian Legend: Comparison of Treatment in Modern and Mediaeval Literature (Routledge Library Editions: Arthurian Literature)
Extra info for Carmilla: A Critical Edition (Irish Studies)
Carmilla: A Critical Edition (Irish Studies) by Joseph Le Fanu